I’ve introduced many vegan eateries in Taipei, but since there’re hundreds of them just on Happy Cow, there seems to be no end to it. Today, let’s take a look at 10 of my favorite places.
Vege Creek (vegan)
Vege Creek is a place for vegan Taiwanese braised dishes. All the green veggies are placed on the wall, and customers can take a basket to put them in. There’re seaweed cakes, eggplants, carrots, tofu, bean curds, pumpkins, rice noodles, etc. This place is a bit pricy compared to other similar places, but the good quality makes it worth.
It’s noteworthy that all the plastic-looking packaging at Vege Creek is actually made of cornstarch, and 90% will be degraded in 12 weeks with the remaining 10% as organic fertilizer. Healthy, delicious, and environmentally-friendly.
Address: No 2, Ln 129, Yanji St, Da’an Dist, Taipei (MRT Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall Station Exit 1)
This restaurant is located in a quiet lane near Da’an Park. The delicacies here include pasta, pizza, curry, vegan cakes, etc. The best part is that you can customize your pizza with various toppings, including homemade rice cheese. Recommended dishes: Chef’s Smoked Delight (fried rice), customized pizza.
Address: No 7, Ln 146, Sec 1, Xinsheng S. Rd, Taipei (MRT Dongmen Station Exit 5)
Vege Table Cafe & Dining (vegan)
Vege Table was originated in Kyoto, Japan, with the Taipei location newly opened. A lunch set is an economical choice, which includes salad, soup, and a main dish. Recommended dishes: Kenchin Nikom Udon, Fried Tofu and Vegetables with Tofu Meat in Miso Sauce, and Walnuts Brownie.
Address: 1F, No 2, Aly 8, Ln 266, Sec 4, Ren’ai Rd, Taipei (near MRT Zhongxiao Dunhua/Xinyi Anhe Station)
Ooh Cha Cha (vegan)
If you love raw food, don’t miss this out! Here you can find quinoa salads, sandwiches, burgers, and various fresh smoothies and raw vegan cakes. Seating is limited, so it won’t be a bad idea to make a reservation. Recommended dishes: Zesty Mushroom Bowl, Hopeful Hummus Bowl.
Address: No 207, Sec 2, Nanchang Rd, Taipei (MRT Guting Station Exit 2)
The Green ROOM (vegan)
If you love Thai food, this is the place to go. The restaurant insists on using only healthy ingredients and no additives. Worry about your furry friend while you eat out? No problem, you can bring them here as this place is dog-friendly. Recommended dishes: Green Curry, Thai Stir-fried Veggies, and Wild Berry Pie.
Address: No. 3, Aly 25, Ln 300, Sec 4, Ren’ai Rd, Da’an Dist, Taipei (MRT Xinyi Anhe Station Exit 2)
Fresh Bakery & Cafe (vegan)
Yep, it’s an all vegan bakery! There’s a plethora of options of bread and pastries here, from Japanese-style bacon, chocolate, earl grey, mocha with red beans, to vegan cakes.
Address: No 466, Sec 6, Zhongxiao E. Rd, Taipei (MRT Qunyang Station Exit 4)
Vegan Heaven (vegan)
If you love sweets but don’t want to hurt animals or take in cholesterol or saturated fat, the Vegan Heaven near Taipei 101 is a real paradise. Originated in Yilan County, their Taipei location is bright and cozy, with different options of desserts, pineapple cakes, cookies, banana bread and soy latte to choose from every day. There’re no seats in the store, but you can eat in the park right next to it, or take a walk to Taipei 101.
Address: 1F, No 6, Aly 6, Ln 395, Sec 4, Xinyi Rd, Taipei (MRT Taipei 101/World Trade Center Station Exit 1)
Hoshina Udon (vegetarian)
What’s better than watching how the chef makes your udon through a glass window? Hoshina Udon has a nice Japanese garden in front of the restaurant, and vegan dishes are clearly marked. Recommended dishes: Spicy Udon, Kimchi/Miso Veggie Wrap, Mocha Soymilk Pudding.
Address: No 3, Aly 27, Ln 216, Sec 4, Zhongxiao E. Rd, Taipei (MRT Zhongxiao Dunhua Station Exit 3)
Herban Kitchen & Bar (vegetarian)
Herban Kitchen & Bar is a hidden restaurant full of yummy vegan dishes and unique interior design. I got lost for 10 minutes and couldn’t find it the first time I went, and I later discovered that going into the small lane after passing a Family Mart would be the best. Vegan dishes are clearly marked. Recommended dishes: Spinach Ricotta Fried Wonton, Spicy Thai Pasta, Spicy Garlic Mushroom Tapas.
Address: No 27, Ln 101, Sec 4, Zhongxiao E. Rd, Taipei (MRT Zhongxiao Dunhua Station Exit 8)
PP 99 (vegetarian)
PP 99 is a small and affordable café with friendly staff and yummy vegan food. Highly recommended: Vegan Black Forest Chocolate Cake, “Malay Shrimp Penne”, “Black Pepper Steak Burger”.
Address: No 7, Ln 175, Sec 2, Heping E. Rd, Taipei (MRT Technology Building Station)
*Hours may change due to restaurants’ policies, so be sure to check on Happy Cow or on the restaurants’ websites for updates before you go*